Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cross Stitch Tips

Today I want to talk a bit about cross stitching.  This is something I have done off and on since I was in high school. I always worked small projects, but lately I've done a few bigger projects.  This latest one is from Mochimochiland. I actually have done 2 projects from this site - one for each child (this was for Kelly). I originally found this site for its cute knitting patterns and then over time, saw the cross stitch patterns.

Connor was studying tessallations in 5th grade math this past year. I had to look up what a tessallation was - and ended up learning something new! A tessellation is the arrangement of repeating polygons with no gaps in between.

It is easy to find cute cross stitch patterns for girls, but boys are another story. When I came across this pattern - I knew it was perfect for him.

Here is the finished result:


I substituted some of the colors to suit a my boy's taste. I also did not change the color of the tooth and spikes because quite frankly I don't like doing small color changes. It was enough to do the eyes. I think it came out pretty cute and need to get a frame for it. 

Here are my cross stitch tips for you:
  • I always use Aida Cloth 14 count.  This is a personal preference. I have tried other size (16 and 18) as well as Linen and Evenweave. I like this best because - my eyes can see the holes without strain! I also like that the cloth keeps its shape.
  • If you are using 14 count cloth -- use 3 strands of embroidery floss. Most patterns or directions always tell you to use 2 strands.  I find using 3 strands does not leave gaps and makes the finished product a little fuller looking.
  • This product I just came across and cannot believe I have ever lived with out it. When cross stitching it is helpful to use some sort of wax to keep your embroidery threads from tangling or getting nasty knots in them.  I had been using this - which can be found in both the quilting and needle section at the fabric store (Joann's).  

(wax)

While I was searching around, I found this little treasure and decided to give it a try. It works sooooo much better than wax and makes the threads feel silky smooth. It is called Thread Heaven.  Their website gives more information and good instructions on how to use it (not that it is complicated). 

(best product)

My last link is for my 2 favorite sites to purchase small cross stitch patterns (Andwabisabi and Sewingseed).  Small patterns are fun to do, don't take a lot of time to finish and are portable. I like these sites because there are not a lot of small color changes and the results are always very cute. If you never tried cross stitching before, these patterns are perfect. Also, both sites give you basic instructions to get you started.  You can make Christmas ornaments, coasters, small framed pictures, bookmarks, etc. 

Happy Stitching!








No comments:

Post a Comment