Sunday, May 29, 2011

Donut Muffins

For those that know me - also know I love donuts! In fact, I think they rank in my top 5 favorite things (I haven't really thought what the other 4 may be or what order it would be in). Anyway this recipe mimics the taste of donuts without all the frying that goes with it.
I originally learned of this recipe through Klutzy Momma Blog

http://klutzymama.wordpress.com/?s=donut+muffins&submit=Search

And the recipe can be traced back to here

http://meandmypinkmixer.blogspot.com/2010/05/donut-muffins.html



I made a couple of minor changes to the recipe. Here is my version (which really isn't much different than the original)

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup applesauce (*see tip below)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg
3/4 cup milk (any kind will do)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg with a wire whisk until combined.  In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, applesauce, oil, egg, milk and vanilla. Whisk to combine.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.  Okay the key to light muffins is NOT TO OVERMIX.  Just stir until barely combined. The first time I made this, I stirred too much and the muffins were very dense and small.  It will look like there are big lumps of batter, but that is okay.  Let the batter stand for a minute or two (it will finish combining on its own).  Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.  Lightly spray liners with nonstick cooking spray.  Spoon batter into muffin tin.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.  If these are not gone by the end of the day you have done something wrong.  There should be no leftovers!


*Here's my big baking tip: I always replace some of the oil listed in the recipe for applesauce.  These little applesauce containers are the perfect size. Each one has approximately 1/3 cup of applesauce.  So if the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oil -- I use one applesauce container and 2 tablespoons of oil.  The original donut muffin recipe called for 1/3 cup oil.  I used one applesauce container and 1 tablespoon of oil.  It cuts back on the amount of fat in the recipe -- allowing you the luxury to consume a second (or third) helping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment