Friday, June 3, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

75% (that is 3 out of 4 for those that prefer a math breakdown) of our house here loves blueberry muffins. I came across this recipe and it has been a hit at our house. I told child #1 that I was going to make blueberry muffins and he wanted to make sure I was making the "perfect blueberry muffins."
This recipe is courtesy of Smitten Kitchen. This is a great website.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/08/perfect-blueberry-muffins/

I didn't change anything in the recipe but I will re-write it to make it my notations on it.


  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt  *I use 1 plain yogurt container (Dannon 6 ounce) - no measuring, just open and pour
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest  *just grate until you think you have enough - more or less will be fine (the muffins are even ok without zest - I just added a little lemon juice from a bottle when I didn't have a fresh lemon)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking poder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup blueberries  *I like to add about a cup, but lots of times I don't measure and just put in what I want (fresh or frozen work equally well -- don't defrost the frozen ones though)
  • Sugar in the Raw -  It comes in a box or packets and is large sugar granules. Now this is different than the original. I use this to sprinkle on top of the muffins before they go into the oven. It's funny because the kids like this touch and always comment on it.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 10 paper liners and spray each cup with a nonstick spray.  Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well, then yogurt and zest. Put flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a sifter and sift half of dry ingredients over batter. mix until combined. sift remaining dry ingredients into batter and mix just until the flour disappears. (remember my tip from donut muffins - don't over mix!). Gently fold in your blueberries. The dough will be quite thick, closer to a cookie dough. Use an ice cream scoop (spray with nonstick spray) to fill your muffin tin. Sprinkle each muffin with some Sugar in the Raw. Bake for 25 minutes, until tops are golden and a tester inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean (just press your finger lightly on the top -- if it feels done take it out, if it feels too soft, keep cooking). Let cool on rack. Now if you made these correctly there will not be any leftovers. However, if that does happen, they still taste good the next day too! Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment